Monday, January 10, 2011

It has been three days since Journey arrived…

Let’s go back to Friday. The boys were so excited to pick Journey up that they were counting down the minutes until we had to leave to get her.  I, on the other hand, felt like I was going to be sick the whole day. I was so nervous about this new adventure we were about to embark on. How was I going to help raise a puppy that would become Bennett’s K-9 companion? We had a dog when I was a child, but that is as far as my experience with dogs goes.
I was on my way to the Dawg Zone to pick Journey up. The roads were a little slick from the freshly fallen snow. The boys were giggling the whole way. When we arrived, Brady put Journey on a leash and took over like a pro. I’ll admit I was far from ready to leave with this puppy. After about an hour of Q&A, I figured it was now or never.
We arrived at home and Journey settled in like she never left and it’s been smooth sailing ever since.

Saturday…I decided to leave the puppy raising up to Rick and the boys for the day. I needed the day to convince myself this would all work out for the best. Journey and Bennett were brought together for a reason.
After seeing the boys interact with her, my doubts were put to rest. Journey is so calm. The only thing I have heard her bark at was a balloon and the plant when one of her toys went behind it.  How could you not love this dog? She is perfect J


Sunday….We took Journey on her first outing. We went to Jefferson to meet Bennett’s grandparents. As expected, Journey’s behavior was flawless. No accidents in a new environment. No barking. No jumping. Flawless. I can only hope and pray that she stays this way. I even set off the smoke alarm last night and she didn’t even bark at that. She ran up to it and sat there staring at it while Rick fanned the smoke away. Oh, and in case you were wondering, it was wooden skewers that set the smoke alarm off, nothing to do with my fabulous cooking.

Monday….Journey played in the sunny outdoors for quite awhile. She loves this ball that Brady plays fetch with her with. Today, unfortunately, she had to play fetch with herself because Brady was at school and Bennett can’t handle the sun reflecting on the snow. She did a pretty good job.  She is still accident free today, fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment